Wednesday, January 18, 2012

What Next?


The feeling after finishing a marathon is strange. It's a little bit of emptiness and a little bit of freedom. I feel a little lost now that it is over because it seemed like other than thinking of my kids/family, scheduling in runs was next on my list (oh and that work thing was somewhere up there). I don't have to wake up at 4:30 AM to get in a run before work. I don't have to rest up on Friday night (abstain from a glass of wine even) because I have to wake up at 5:30 AM to run 12, 15 or 18 miles. I don't have to do a darn thing when it comes to working out. That makes me feel a little disoriented.
On the other hand, there is something nice about the freedom of it all. Three miles is all I could fit in this morning and there is not any guilt that I didn't do five or six. I am going to take it easy on the miles over the next couple of weeks and see how things go. I am going to try something new- go with the flow. Maybe I should try something new- like yoga- or hit up a few spin classes. I definitely would like to add a bit of strength training to my workout, which I have neglected, mainly due to lack of time with training. I have toyed with the idea of running a half marathon in February. (In fact I even toyed with the idea of another full marathon in February). Anyway, I think I will not just make a plan yet. I will enjoy just being able to workout without any pressure or plan for a couple of weeks and see how things go.
This morning's three miler started at a 9:22 pace and ended the last half mile at a 7:53 pace. I finished in 26 minutes and then cooled down until I reached 30 minutes. That's nice and speedy for me. Working on speed is definitely something I will do, if anything, just for fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment