Tuesday, January 17, 2012

The Loop


I am glad I rediscovered "the loop" this past weekend. I have mixed feelings about January in Naples. I am one of those people who misses the snow. I loved the snow. I loved waking up to a blanket of white and hearing those words (as a teacher) "no school today". A day of relaxing, walking or running in the snow and hot chocolate. I love the cold, too.

Anyway, this loop goes across the bridge where you see the bay and boats on either side and follows a pathway alongside the bay- just a few steps from the ocean. It passes right by Ben and Jerry's at the halfway point (as my daughter will never forget) and crosses back over another bridge and back around to our house. It is just 3 miles.

We did the loop twice on Sunday with the girls (walking). One of those trips resulted in dinner at Ben and Jerry's (you only live once!).

Yesterday, I did an easy 3 miles on the treadmill in the morning. It was a recovery run. By the time dinner hour rolled around, I had this strange urge to do the loop. It was 5:30 PM and just an hour from Caroline's bedtime. I put them in the stroller with a little urging and began to so some speed walking. I did the loop backwards this time. By the time I reached the first bridge about a mile away, I found myself running. It was tough- my body didn't really want to run and those girls are not lightweights in the stroller. Once I started running, the three-year-old did not want me to stop. She liked the speed (not sure there was actual speed involved though).
So, we ran the rest of the way, worked up a little sweat and this morning I woke up sore for the first time since the marathon over a week ago.

I like this little loop. It's short and it forces me to try and appreciate my surroundings more. Beautiful palm trees lit up, the ocean, a breeze and sunny weather all around me. I will try and do this loop- whether walking or running- more often. I will try and avoid stopping at Ben and Jerry's too often.

No comments:

Post a Comment