Monday, January 16, 2012

Disney Marathon 2012 recap Part I




Let's start with the fact that Disney is "the happiest place on earth" so no matter how sick, injured or fatigued you are during the 26.2 mile stretch, you better have a smile on your face.

So, for memory's sake I am going to recap the weekend. The morning we left was a bit of chaos. Gigi and Poppi were in town and we were enjoying our last minutes with them while trying to pack and prepare for our races and a fun time with the girls at Disney.
Things we forgot:
One camera charger (what's the point of an uncharged camera?)
One prescription which was going to help me survive the race with my wheezing/coughing/etc.
One gift card to the Disney store (where oh where did that go?)

Regardless, you have to move on and remember you will survive without these things...other than the prescription. That missing item was vital to my 26.2 miles and resulted in a call to the doctor. The doctor than called a pharmacy in Orlando, which for a "small" fee would deliver my prescription right to the hotel room. Fantastic!

We arrived at Disney, had our first meal at the ESPN Zone and headed over to the expo. All went smoothly, we fought through the crowds with our two antsy girls and bought a few Gu's along the way. Then, as we were leaving, I noticed my bib placed me in the walking coral. I knew I wasn't going to rock it, but I did not plan on walking. So, back to two more lines, a couple more computer print outs, and another 45 minutes in the Expo and I was all set. Coral B.

Off to the Swan, settled into the room and down for a great sushi dinner with Uncle Casey and Aunt Val. I was feeling pretty badly with my cough and congestion, so I settled for tea while everyone else indulged in their beer/wine. Wes was going to run his first half marathon in the morning and thus we were off to bed. His alarm was set for 2:45 am and mine was set for 5:30 am to be a spectator.

The next morning came quickly and Wes was off and running. I tried to be a dedicated and supportive running wife (after all it was I who convinced him to run in the first place)--- but major bus problems (waiting over an hour for a bus and another 45 minutes on the bus) and I missed him cross the finish line. I felt terrible! However, I managed to catch him getting on the bus to go back to the hotel just as I arrived and jumped in line with him. Bummer that I missed his first big finish, but he was happy and smiling!

More to come...

No comments:

Post a Comment